23. Februar 2006

babyquilt I - design decisions.

i finally found the design for my sisters baby-quilt. *proud*
it´s mainly made of classic blocks called "storm at the sea" which i found just right for her, wishing to have a lighthouse pictured on the quilt.
i love classic and clear designs for my baby-quilts. no fuzz, no embellishments. washable, usable and cuddly.

back to topic.
the sats-blocks measures 12 x 12" (ca. 30 x 30 cm), so the size of the pieces allow me to play with some patterned fabric if i want to have some fishes swimming in my sea-blocks or some flowers to bloom at the beach. i´ll see what´s in my fq-stash.
finished size of the quilt will be about 60 x 60" (ca. 150 x 150 cm), depending on the border width. i´m not sure about borders yet. maybe i´ll make two smaller solid-color borders in different widths, but this is a last-minute choice and not the problem right now.

the colors and fabrics i used to design the quilt (using quilt pro v4) are NOT the ones i actually will use - it´s just a guide for me to have an eye on the shading of the whole appearance of the finished piece.

until now i don´t know if i will sew the quilt giving it a more "scrappy" look like this:


or if i make the sky in only two shades of light blue to "calm down" the whole colorscheme:


next choice: the lighthouse.
the lighthouse you see pictured on my quilt is of my own design, as in books or online i only found patterns for american or canadian lighthouses. that wasn´t what i wanted, though i´m still considering this one as a "maybe a good choice":


this picture ist taken from the book "shoreline quilts" and i´d just have to mirror the pattern and enlarge it a little bit. the pattern is nice, but i wanted something more "personal", so i took a picture of a lighthouse called "westerhever sand" (which is located in northern germany) and made a paper-piecing-pattern from it as good as i could.
we´ve been there many times with our parents when we visited our grandma and grandpa, so i thought about this lighthouse as a good choice as well. the finished lighthouse-block would be about 20" high.

and - beat me! - there´s a third possibility.... doing the whole quilt in "storm-at-the-sea"-blocks and then APPLIQUE the lighthouse in place! this would be my favourite yet most time-consuming choice of all, as i then would do the appliqué by hand as i have done this quilt. with slight adaptions (like getting rid of the fence) i could work directly from this picture:


the time-factor is a huge problem, as the baby shall arrive april, 3rd. plus i don´t know if handappliqué would work well on a baby-quilt wich will often be washed?!? and machine applique would be hell with all those tiny little shapes of the windows, so i don´t want to do that!

what do you think?

Kommentare :

  1. coooool....

    what about embroider the windows to the fabric before appliqué(ing?) it to the main quilt?

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. i thought about it, but i still think that the machine-seams (satin-stitch) will show off too much and maybe also be a little too bulky for the baby? ...

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. don't know, the baby quilt I made was more "I look at it" :) I don't think my friend used it, while my sister used the one I made ( from scraps of things from our past...) but that was plain paper piecing....

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. Thanks for your visit to my blog.
    Wow, you're so talented.
    I'm so amazed!

    AntwortenLöschen

Danke, daß Du Dir Zeit nimmst, mir einen Kommentar zu hinterlassen, ich freue mich sehr darüber! ♥
-----
Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment, I really appreciate each one! ♥