i made several babyquilts for friends. they may not have been perfect, but i was satisfied and everytime i was learning from it. i´m generous with small mistakes. they just happen. but i´m really disappointed with this one. this really meant a lot to me, as it´s for my sister. and i´m just about dumping it.
well, in spite of this, here´s what i´ve done until now:
pieced background, completed.
i mentioned earlier that template-cutting isn´t one of my favourite things. every block desires 49 pieces, all cut with an eye on your color-chart for fabric placement. rarely you can cut more than 2 at a time.
but the background is finished. HAIL TO THE QUEEN, the king isn´t at home.
next step was the appliqué for the lighthouse. i decided to appliqué it rather than to sew a paperpieced one. wrong decision, again.
i pulled out my big lightbox dh made for me:
it´s about 80 cm square. doing hand-appliqué sometimes, i cannot use those very small lightboxes you can buy for paperwork and i cannot afford the big light-tables. so i asked very talented dh to build me one, and it works GREAT!
i scanned a photo, enlarged it with the computer and used posterprinting. then i colored the outlines of the main pieces.
then i transfered the shapes to "heat´n´bond ultrahold".
after ironing the shapes onto my fabrics (which was working very well) i let it cool, cut the shapes and ironed it to my background.
well, i tried.
didn´t work very well.
i´m not satisfied.
of course, i wanted to sew the appliqué to the background anyway, but i thought it would be nice if it would stay in place while i sew. *phew!*
here´s how it looked yesterday in the evening:
the windows and some "shaddows" to give depth to the picture will be done using free motion embroidery. couldn´t make it much worse than it is now.
beneath my sewing and cutting table are my references (color and cutting-chart, photos...) lying around:
so hopefully a new day will come - free from mistakes.