20. Oktober 2007

Twisted Sister

One of my first japanese fashion sewing books was "Pattern Magic", by Tomoko Nakamichi.
I immediately was drawn towards this sweater... and finally decided that it was time to give it a try.
For the first time the pattern was completely made with my computer, which meant that I didn't have to spend hours kneeling on the floor, drafting. It just meant spending some 15 minutes (again: kneeling on the floor...) glueing the pattern pieces together.

Twisted

Seam allowances were already included, but of course I missed to draft an extra piece for the neckline facing. Oooooh, don't worry... it was cut "freehand" and I adjusted it later in the progress of sewing... "Adventure fashion", you know?! ^-^

First I thought a heavier jersey would be a good choice, but then I decided that I wanted a different look than the one promoted in the book, so I digged out one of my treasures: An italian knit, for which I paid a hell lot of money and therefore it still waited for its chance.
It looks a bit like cobweb, sprinkled with silver dewdrops... We call that "Altweibersommer" here, but I lack the english word for it. Maybe one of my dear friends can translate that?!?
Anyways, this was the way to go.

Twisted

It doesn't drape properly on Pueppi but the pictures may give you a small insight in what it looks like. Though I think it looks a lot better when I wear it. *gg*
The color of the knit is hard to picture... it's not really white, but also not a rich cream, so the truth may be somewhere between the "inside" and the "outside" picture.

Twisted

The hubby said it looks a bit like a straitjacket. Well... maybe he's right, but those who know me may also find it pretty appropriate sometimes ;)

Complementary to the drafting process, the sewing was very easy to do - I just had to adjust the differential feed of my serger a little bit and off I went.
There are only two sideseams and a shoulderseam, which is twisted towards the backside.
Unlike they did in the book I added an asymmetrical neckline facing and cuffs to this sweater. The fabric I chose is so delicate that it just doesn't look good with a normal hemline, and this way I will be able to kind of adjust the twisted look by tugging the lower cuff "up" or "down".

This was a fun project! ^-^
To share the fun, I'll be giving away the pattern to one of my readers.
It will fit an US size 8 and it will be delivered as a pdf-file (HOORAY to technics!).
Comments will be numbered by appearance and the winner will be randomly drawn on Monday, 21:00 CET.
Of course I love getting your feedback either way, but if - for whatever reason - you're not interested in the pattern, please include this in your comment so someone else may get the chance. Thanks! ^-^

Please note: I recommend WARMLY to make a muslin from some knit fabric first to adjust the length to "western standards". I'm lucky to be pretty short, so the pattern is drafted to my measurements. A lot of adjusting might be included for you, so don't blame me I didn't tell you...


More fun to come, though not sewing-related:

Tease me...

The one with the straitjacket says "Have a wonderful weekend!" ^-^

Kommentare :

  1. that's very interesting! how did you do it with the computer?

    in a fortnight I'll have a course with someone who had a workshop with tomoko in new york. I hope I learn s.th. new.

    sorry not to be a size 8 ;)

    hope you go for some other patterns in the book, too! you can do it! sizes are made for you.

    have fun!

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. That is by far the classiest straitjacket I've seen!

    Before I'd read to the end of the post I was already thinking "that pattern is cool. Buy the book? In Japanese...?"

    I'd like to join the lottery. I am, however, a bit confused as to what a size 8 translate to in European sizes - am I correct that it would be a small medium? Somewhere between 36 and 42? In that case, count me in! Otherwise let someone else have the pleasure.

    Oh, and I believe that "Altweibersommer" is "Indian summer" in English.

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. Katrin, I am so glad you tried the twisted top. Such a fun project and it turned out so nice! Congrats! The fabric used does look a bit thicker on the photo, but I think it is partly because the author used a 1/2 size body form.

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. I think the sweater is wonderful even on the mannequin. You did a great job. Count me in the lottery.

    AntwortenLöschen
  5. Anna06:08

    Beautiful! Put my name in the hat!

    AntwortenLöschen
  6. barbara10:50

    the jumper looks super-cool!
    put my name in the hat, too, please :)

    AntwortenLöschen
  7. very cool project. i like how you added the cuffs. would love to be added to the draw. -kb

    AntwortenLöschen
  8. Very cool - that's such an interesting pattern! I bet it looks great on, I'd love to see some modeled shots ;)

    AntwortenLöschen
  9. I think it looks awesome! What kind of fabric did you use? It looks knitted. Love it!

    AntwortenLöschen
  10. Pattern Magic was my first Japanese book too! You did a terrific job on this one!!! Wow!

    AntwortenLöschen
  11. Now that's fantastic!! A great sweater.

    AntwortenLöschen
  12. looks cool! The fabric must be something very special.
    From the first picture of the pattern I have to admit I was thinking of a ghost.. but hey, at a recent wedding the guests made drawings, and I thought one was a ghost, R thought it was the bride, and in the end it was a lighthouse. So don't put too much into that ;)

    AntwortenLöschen
  13. This is seriously cool. I have the book too and are happy you made this shirt. It looked a bit uncomfortable in the book... seeing yours makes me think I should give it a try. It surely is a cool piece to wear.

    AntwortenLöschen
  14. Loulou09:10

    I am sooo pleased I came across your site, cause I have the pattern magic book amongst others and have been trying to decifier what some of the things in them mean. So many I'd love to make 'drooling as i think about them'.
    My question is, is you can help; I want to try out pattern on (pg 88, but the collar is stumping me, in terms of the dimensions given, surely it'll be too tight!!! Any help please?

    AntwortenLöschen

Danke, daß Du Dir Zeit nimmst, mir einen Kommentar zu hinterlassen, ich freue mich sehr darüber! ♥
-----
Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment, I really appreciate each one! ♥