One of my first japanese fashion sewing books was "Pattern Magic", by Tomoko Nakamichi.
I immediately was drawn towards this sweater... and finally decided that it was time to give it a try.
For the first time the pattern was completely made with my computer, which meant that I didn't have to spend hours kneeling on the floor, drafting. It just meant spending some 15 minutes (again: kneeling on the floor...) glueing the pattern pieces together.
Seam allowances were already included, but of course I missed to draft an extra piece for the neckline facing. Oooooh, don't worry... it was cut "freehand" and I adjusted it later in the progress of sewing... "Adventure fashion", you know?! ^-^
First I thought a heavier jersey would be a good choice, but then I decided that I wanted a different look than the one promoted in the book, so I digged out one of my treasures: An italian knit, for which I paid a hell lot of money and therefore it still waited for its chance.
It looks a bit like cobweb, sprinkled with silver dewdrops... We call that "Altweibersommer" here, but I lack the english word for it. Maybe one of my dear friends can translate that?!?
Anyways, this was the way to go.
It doesn't drape properly on Pueppi but the pictures may give you a small insight in what it looks like. Though I think it looks a lot better when I wear it. *gg*
The color of the knit is hard to picture... it's not really white, but also not a rich cream, so the truth may be somewhere between the "inside" and the "outside" picture.
The hubby said it looks a bit like a straitjacket. Well... maybe he's right, but those who know me may also find it pretty appropriate sometimes ;)
Complementary to the drafting process, the sewing was very easy to do - I just had to adjust the differential feed of my serger a little bit and off I went.
There are only two sideseams and a shoulderseam, which is twisted towards the backside.
Unlike they did in the book I added an asymmetrical neckline facing and cuffs to this sweater. The fabric I chose is so delicate that it just doesn't look good with a normal hemline, and this way I will be able to kind of adjust the twisted look by tugging the lower cuff "up" or "down".
This was a fun project! ^-^
To share the fun, I'll be giving away the pattern to one of my readers.
It will fit an US size 8 and it will be delivered as a pdf-file (HOORAY to technics!).
Comments will be numbered by appearance and the winner will be randomly drawn on Monday, 21:00 CET.
Of course I love getting your feedback either way, but if - for whatever reason - you're not interested in the pattern, please include this in your comment so someone else may get the chance. Thanks! ^-^
Please note: I recommend WARMLY to make a muslin from some knit fabric first to adjust the length to "western standards". I'm lucky to be pretty short, so the pattern is drafted to my measurements. A lot of adjusting might be included for you, so don't blame me I didn't tell you...
More fun to come, though not sewing-related:
The one with the straitjacket says "Have a wonderful weekend!" ^-^