Once there was a girl

14. November 2007
witch wanted to be a pirate.

MSB-skirt
Get it? *gg*

(Just in case you wonder if there's something wrong with your screen: My sister suffered a "sudden eye disfunction" today, due to my stripey stockings *g* ... )

Finally I found some time and got down to some sewing.
I set my eyes on this skirt (detail pic) from the autumn 2007 issue of my beloved Mrs. Stylebook magazine.

Drafting was done pretty quick, the decision for the perfect fabric was easy - I used a dark grey wool suiting I got from an aunt lately. She cleaned out the basement and found some fabric treasures from her late mother in law: "Do you happen to want those?" ... And you can bet I wanted them!

After cutting all pieces from the woolen fabric I recognized that there *might* be a different fabric in this skirt... to me, it did look like leather or faux leather. Damn! Do I have anything that will go with this fabric?
Some "stash diving" later I found what I wanted: Smallish remnants from my first handbag ever!

MSB-skirt

The tooled faux leather seemed just perfect for the insets at the hips and for the belt loops and the buttoned tabs at the hemline. As this leather is pretty thick I only backed it with an interlined black cotton poplin.
Of course there was a need for a hint of "ME" on this skirt... and I already bought those pirate buttons some time ago, originally thinking about an Justaucorps (for me - not for the hubby), but now they were just fine for the skirt. They give me the "oh!"-effect at the second glance. ;)

The skirt closes with an invisible zipper (my faves!) in the center backside seam. Of course the skirt is lined completely, as the fabric unfortunately tends to climb...
Front shots (laid out flat) here and here.
I'm sorry that I can't show you a nice picture this time, but the light is bad these days and I lost patience after "bad shot number 207".

Sewing was fun, wearing it actually IS fun, and though it is much shorter than my usual skirt length (usually you would NOT see my knees) I really like the way it looks.

Now I'm taking my skirt off to our choir rehearsal... have fun with whatever you do today!

Kommentare:

  1. It looks fantastic! Love it with the stripey legs! Great mix of wool and leathery fabrics.

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. first: cool play on words honey!
    second: we can't really see your knees, these overly cool overknees don't show them (I think I need to knit myself some!)
    third: your a genius! The way you incorporateted(tedededed or so) the handback in the skirt is great

    speechless greetings :)

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. Those stockings are kewl³! But the skirt.. amazing! I love those little skull buttons!

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. yes, this is so cute, and the stocking are really funky, I like

    AntwortenLöschen
  5. Love the mix of textures and the great buttons. Creative has got to be your middle name.

    AntwortenLöschen
  6. kristin L23:21

    I love the stripey knees! I love the leather accents on the skirt too. Great work! :-)

    AntwortenLöschen
  7. I love the faux leather detail!

    AntwortenLöschen
  8. wow, i love it. the buttoned tabs at the hemline are such a great touch! -kb

    AntwortenLöschen
  9. Nice skirt - nice socks too! lovely details that you've added. Glad to see you're back to sewing Mrs Style designs again. I like this issue - especially the American designer (I can't remember exactly who though!) skirts. Favourite one is the one that folds up to wear, it looks so cool.

    AntwortenLöschen
  10. great, honey! what a cool skirt. always impressed: yours truly.

    AntwortenLöschen
  11. anea10:35

    Cool, cool, cool!

    This is the cutest skirt ever and I hope we will soon see a photo of you and your knees in this skirt! The faux leather details are fab!

    I like the striped stockings, too!

    You are just the one to carry this off!

    Great girl!!!!

    AntwortenLöschen
  12. Love the skirt details! Kudos!

    AntwortenLöschen
  13. Katrin, such a cute skirt!! I love the leather trim and buttons. Super!

    AntwortenLöschen
  14. There are always amazing ideas from mad - as usual.

    Interesting that you used leather from your first handbag. (When did you make your first handbag?)

    I guess, I'm a bit prejudiced with older fabric now, but when I was young I had a coat modified which had belonged to my late mother. It was a traditional coat. Well - not TOO traditional ;).

    AntwortenLöschen
  15. those stockings are great! Especially for grey autumn and winter days :)
    The skirt is very pretty, too. And that button!

    AntwortenLöschen
  16. Ooh, I just love this. The details are fabulous! Well done.

    AntwortenLöschen
  17. You'd make a great pirate! ;)

    What an excellent skirt - I love it and it's creative details!! And the stockings rock - a perfect combo!

    AntwortenLöschen
  18. Katrin, this skirt is GORGEOUS!!!!! I really love it! Wow! I love the skull buttons and the contrasting texture of the fabric you used... Genious!

    AntwortenLöschen
  19. Love this faux leather touch. It truly makes the skirt.

    AntwortenLöschen

Danke, daß Du Dir Zeit nimmst, mir einen Kommentar zu hinterlassen, ich freue mich sehr darüber! ♥