Triple C: Custom Camera Cozy DIY

13. Februar 2008
Digtal Camera Cozy
Having only time for the small stuff I managed to sew a pretty (and PINK!) little cozy for my new (and PINK!) camera. Yes... I could have bought one. But where's the fun about it?

Then I thought that a custom camera cosy might be fun for others too, so I made a little tutorial for making your very own. Your camera will feel very happy, safe and warm inside!
Camera Cozy
As mine was finished already and there was no need for a second where I could take pictures of the progress, I tried my hand at drawing the steps for you. You may see that I'm not a freak with those graphic programs, but you will get the idea of what I mean. (Or at least I hope so!)
[Please click on the pictures for larger versions!]

camera cover - step 1First, take your camera's measurements like indicated on the left (but of course NOT when it's opened up...)
Take the measurements at the widest parts.
If you are not sure about your measurements or if you make the cosy as a present for someone else, visit the manufacturer's homepage for information.
! As the cosy is doubled and interlined with a voluminous batting it is neccessary to add some ease to the measurements. I rounded my measurements to the next 0.5 cm, which I also did for Mr. Mad's cellphone cozy. It worked well both times, so it can't be completely wrong.
Example: If the taken measurement is 2.2 cm, the working measurement will be 2.5 cm.
If you have a measurement like 5.9 cm go right up to 6.5 instead of 6.0 cm to be completely on the safe side.
camera cover - step 2Draft the pattern using the working measurements.
Take the picture on the left as a guidance.

Arrows in the same color means equal measurements are used.
The length of the closure flap depends on your taste. I made mine 1/2 as long as the measured width of my camera.
camera cover - step 3Round the edges of the closure flap if wanted.

Add seam allowance in preferred width. I tend to use 1 cm, as this is exactly the width of the foot of my sewing machine, so I can use this as a guidance while sewing.

(I eliminated the other lines so the seam allowance comes out better. No need to do that on your pattern!)
camera cover - step 4Decide where the closure will be (red).
You only have one pattern, but for a better understanding I made extra-patterns for lining and outer shell.
On my camera cozy I used a velcro closure with the soft side attached to the closure flap (on the lining) and the hook side attached to the outer shell.
Make sure they will meet when you close the case... Take a look at the picture for a hint for the placement (blue arrows).
Cut the pieces from fabric (2 x), fusible interfacing (2 x) and batting (1 x).
I used a fat quarter of quilting cotton, a lightweight iron-on interfacing and a tight batting (which almost felt like a soft, thick kind of felt...).
Fuse interfacing to wrong sides of the fabric pieces like indicated by the manufacturer.
Mark all lines on both pieces, additionally mark placement of velcro on the right sides.
"Quilt" your batting to the wrong (fused) side of the OUTER SHELL fabric. I used simple parallel lines, but you can do whatever pleases you.
If you don't want a quilted look for your finished cozy, just baste the pieces together with some handstitches. You can pull them out later.

Sew the velcro to the right (fabric) sides of your prepared pieces.
If you plan to add a belt loop or a keyring like I did, do this now.
camera cover - step 5aFold your fabric at the center of what later will be the bottom of your bag (red line), right sides together.
camera cover - step 5bSew side seams closed on outer shell fabric, trim seam allowances of batting close to the seam to avoid bulk in that area.
Repeat both steps with the lining, but leave a gap (ca. 8 cm) in one sideseam for turning.

Depending on the size of your camera it might occur that you only have to sew 2 - 3 cm on each side!
camera cover - step 6By now you have something that should look similar to a flat little totebag.
Carefully press seam allowances open. You may insert a tightly rolled up piece of fabric or the handle of a wooden spoon in the case to make this step easier.
Working one at a time, bring sideseams down to meet the center of the bottom (that's why you marked the bottom lines before).

Sew across the resulting triangle.
Carefully cut back the triangle to avoid bulk.
Repeat with the lining.

Now your pieces should look a bit boxy and more like a camera case than before.
camera cover - step 7Slide the outside bag inside the lining bag, right sides facing.
Align side seams.
Carefully and slowly sew around opening and closure flap.
As the case is pretty small, you may only be able to work a few stitches at a time.

Very carefully cut back seam allowances on the batting.
Clip deep corners where closure flap meets the opening. Cut back seam allowance at those points. Add some fray check if it makes you feel better (at least it makes me feel better, I used it additionally to the fusible interfacing).
Clip seam allowances at rounded points of closure flap.
camera cover - finished!Carefully turn the bag inside-out through the gap in the lining's side seam.
Press seams around the opening edge and the closure flap.
Close turning gap by hand.

Most digital cameras have a wriststrap attached to them. Put your camera inside the case and mark placement of the wriststrap on the outside of closure flap.
Sew a buttonhole in this flap to pull the wriststrap through.

TA-DAAAAAAAAAAA!
Your very personal, stylish, custom and surely unique camera cozy is finished! ^-^

Have fun... Hope to see some new camera cozys out there soon!

Kommentare:

  1. This is so cute -- and you're right -- there's no fun in buying a cozy for anything. My camera already has a cozy, but since yours is so much nicer, maybe mine needs some updating...

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Hehehe, you love PINK, eh?
    Me, too.

    Happy Valentine's Day to you!!

    xoxo

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. How very nice. I do have a cosy (didn't know it was called that), but it's a lovely idea to make your own. Might copy that some time. Thanks for the tutorial.

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. Kewl! This gives me ideas again... Soon I will own a gread digital SLR camera (for all the German readers: Spiegelreflexkamera). Hummmm.....

    *head startet spinning*

    AntwortenLöschen
  5. This is so cool. I will definitely be making one of these!

    AntwortenLöschen
  6. i really like your tutorial - i am impressed with your technical know how - didn; i once say something about a book deal.... :)


    (another project to add to the list...)

    AntwortenLöschen
  7. I will definitely make one of those! thx for the tutorial.

    book deal??? nachtigall!

    AntwortenLöschen
  8. very cute! I got one with my camera that fits so perfectly I didn't add a self-made one to my long to-do list, but I have to admit yours is really great :)

    AntwortenLöschen
  9. Anonymous21:52

    Thanks so much for the detailed tutorial. My camera is still "barenaked" and I am awaiting a pile of fabulous sample fabrics from a friend. The next project, for sure!

    Gruß, bele

    AntwortenLöschen
  10. Cute and stylish!!!! Love it!

    AntwortenLöschen
  11. How smart! It is so cute!!!

    AntwortenLöschen
  12. Very generous of you to share your adorable pattern! I won't be making one though...I'm hoping to drop my camera on the sidewalk so I can get a new one!

    AntwortenLöschen
  13. Anonymous12:59

    Enjoy your Exilim, i have the 4.0 mega version had it for about 3 years now. Great wee camera. I upgraded to a Canon Sure Shot with 10 mega. But my wee Exilim is still my fav.Great size for pocket, handbag. And great quality pics.

    Thanks for sharing your patterns and you have a fantastic blog.

    AntwortenLöschen
  14. Anonymous23:01

    How I wish to have a german tutorial now....I can't understand the finish.

    AntwortenLöschen
  15. This is a wonderful tutorial! I just made my first cozy...it was meant for my sister, but it fits my camera soooo nicely I might just have to make another one for her. :) Thanks so much for sharing!!

    AntwortenLöschen
  16. Very stylish and so personal -- your husband's is excellent, too!

    AntwortenLöschen
  17. thank you so much for sharing this great tutorial. i just made my first cozy for my new digicam.

    ulli :o)

    AntwortenLöschen
  18. This is such a wonderful tutorial, thank you very much! (Found via sew, mama, sew)

    xo

    AntwortenLöschen
  19. Thanks so much for the tutorial! I just made a camera case of my own! :-)

    AntwortenLöschen
  20. The tutorial for the camera case is great. Thanks for sharing it!

    AntwortenLöschen
  21. Cool thanks for creating this! I just finished mine and I love it!

    AntwortenLöschen
  22. Hi there!

    i have link ur tutorial in http://diybaglover.blogspot.com/.

    Hope u dont mind =)

    AntwortenLöschen
  23. Thankyou for posting the tutorial - I have posted a link on my blog for the one I made http://mermaidspurse.blogspot.com/2009/07/my-treasure-chest.html

    AntwortenLöschen
  24. Echt supi!
    Ich bastle gerade an einer Rolle für mein Objektiv... wird aber unmöglich ein so tolles Tutorial geben, von meiner Kamikaze-Aktion :-) *g*

    GLG

    AntwortenLöschen
  25. Now I finally made one that I can show you! I made a cellphone casing, but I'm plannig to make one for the camera too. Thank you so much for the tutorial, hope you'll come by and see what I did.
    I'm also wondering: since the outer and inner fabric are exactly the same size, doesn't your inner fabric bulk? Mine does a bit.

    kamadesign

    AntwortenLöschen
  26. I cut lining and exterior the same size, but I change the needle position while sewing the lining, so the lining turns out a tad smaller than the exterior.
    This way it fits in snugly and there's no bulk. :)

    AntwortenLöschen
  27. Thanks for the tutorial! I made one and posted about it on my blog, amy a la mode.

    AntwortenLöschen
  28. summerdae02:17

    Thank you for this wonderful tutorial! I found something great to make the drafting process even easier, it's incompetech.com and you can print your own graph/dot paper to what size you want, I did dots to 1 cm.

    AntwortenLöschen
  29. Thank you for posting this how-to!!! I find the diagrams very useful (diagrams are better than photos anyway, more clear that way). I just made mine tonight and I love it. It was even my first ever button-hole!

    The instructions are lacking direction on where best to leave a gap for turning inside out. When I connected the lining with the outer shell, I left the entire top edge of the flap open for turning out to the right side, and once turned over, I folded the raw edge inside (sandwiched between the shell and lining) and top stitched the sucker. This method would also work for a rounded edge flap I think, by leaving the top edge of the flap open between where the corner-curves stop.

    I also didn't have any velcro, so I used a thin piece of elastic that's connected to either side of the flap like a moleskine journal.

    Thank you!!!!!

    AntwortenLöschen
  30. Thanks!
    As mentioned in the tutorial the turning gap is in the side-seam of the lining, which I personally prefer. (see text for the second picture)

    It's definitely a way to leave the top edge open, but for rounded edges it won't work smoothly - the clipped seam allowance will definitely make finishing much harder ;)

    AntwortenLöschen
  31. Thank you for a great tutorial :)
    I've just finished mine: http://jama-jujamy.blogspot.com/2010/01/sowie-ubranko-dla-aparatu.html

    AntwortenLöschen
  32. Thank you so much for this tutorial--I've been meaning to try it for some time & finally had a chance.

    I added a little twist for myself, I used a fabric with a strong directional repeat, so I divided your pattern into 3 parts and sewed the pieces of fabric-together patchwork style.

    http://learningasigo.typepad.com/learning_as_i_go/2010/01/for-a-friend-sew-quilted-camera-case-phone-case.html

    Such a great little pattern--I love how it can be adjusted for so many different things.

    AntwortenLöschen
  33. hi - do you have a PDF of this or some way of saving the flickr photos to my computer? I want to print it out so I don't have to look at it just online. it's awesome & adorable & I can't wait to make one! thx.

    AntwortenLöschen
  34. Thank you very much for your help! I made one and turned out great!

    LOVE Dani

    http://bathinasblog.blogspot.com/2010/03/danke-mein-schatz-thank-you-my-darling.html

    AntwortenLöschen
  35. Hi!

    I arrived here through a blog that linked this cute tutorial. It's so beautiful!

    AntwortenLöschen
  36. thanks for sharing

    AntwortenLöschen
  37. I just made my first muslin, thanks for sharing! I made a link to this tute on my blog http://creabh.blogspot.com/2010/09/proefhoesje-voor-een-fotocamera.html

    AntwortenLöschen
  38. Parabéns, eu achei muito lindo seu trabalho.

    Abraços,
    Marcia
    Curitiba - Paraná - Brasil

    AntwortenLöschen
  39. It's definitely a cute and creative idea. thanks for the tutorial! Gonna have to try my hand at these.

    AntwortenLöschen
  40. Thanks for the tutorial! I made one you can see it here:
    http://misspixieworks.blogspot.com/2011/05/camera-case.html

    AntwortenLöschen
  41. Thanks i made one: http://foto.mercadofotos.com/qullayki/otros/DSCF4089.JPG

    ó

    http://foto.mercadofotos.com/qullayki/otros/DSCF4094.JPG

    AntwortenLöschen
  42. I linked to your tutorial on my blog - thanks for sharing!

    doro K.

    AntwortenLöschen
  43. I just made one myself: http://sewinsanity.blogspot.com/2012/05/camera-case.html not as cute as yours, but it works!

    AntwortenLöschen
  44. Thank you for your pattern!! I've made one too and linked to your pattern on my blog: http://aramatamara.blogspot.nl/2012/09/telefoonhoesje-tweede-poging.html

    AntwortenLöschen
  45. Thank you for sharing this tutorial. It is very clear and helped me to make a camera case.
    For pictures of the case: creatiefbezig.blogspot.com

    AntwortenLöschen
  46. I just linked to your tut on my blog - thanks for sharing :)

    AntwortenLöschen

Danke, daß Du Dir Zeit nimmst, mir einen Kommentar zu hinterlassen, ich freue mich sehr darüber! ♥